Monday, November 27, 2006

Room 214

So what went down at the Hotel Kurrajong in room 214?

Firstly a bit of background. Ben Chifley, as Prime Minister, never lived at The Lodge, he worked twelve hours days and returned each night to the Hotel Kurrajong, to his room at the top of the stairs at the end of the hall.

On June 13, 1951, he skipped the Golden Jubilee Ball and went back to room 214 where he suffered the massive heart attack that killed him. Since then there have been many stories in regards to the appearance of an apparition.

So I booked myself in and stayed a night, setting up the video camera to capture anything that might occur. I talked with staff over the course of my stay and heard tales of people being tripped up on the stairs, of a cleaner that refuses to enter the room after being tapped on the back and of a figure appearing at the window, pointing towards Parliament House.

I cannot corroborate these stories, but have yet to view the video footage of my stay. I can tell you that the movie, The Shining, was at the forefront of my mind. I had turned the handle like Danny and entered the room despite the warnings. But for the rest of the story you will have to wait until my book of Ghost Poetry is published.

What I can confirm is that Canberra is some weird kinda town. I was just happy to get out of there and back to Melbourne. Everything looks like an office, the cafe's, schools and playgrounds... or a photocopier inisde an office.

Next month I am staying in a cell next to the Hanging Tower at Old Adelaide gaol... will post info on that soon. It is arguably up there among the top three haunted sites in Australia.
Now… if you feel ripped off because you wanted more goss, then take a stand and leave a comment. Or perhaps you have a spooky story to share.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

While I wasn't lucky enough to sleep in 214, I was however visted (in room 201) by someone who wanted a cuppa. Only minutes after boiling a kettle for a cup of tea, the kettle mysteriously turned itself back on! Now the cynic in me would normally say that this was a faulty swith.However, as the switch was one that had to be pressed in rather than down, the latter allows some accidental bumping and switching on and off, and as it appeared to be new and have no faults, there seems to be no reasonable explanation other than Ben pooped in for a cuppa with a fellow traveller.