Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Canberra and the Cable Car

Am just home from my first Ghost Poetry stay. I flew back in to Melbourne from Canberra and went to Crash Test Drama where my short play CABLE CAR OF DEATH was being read.
News is we won the night. Gareth Ellis picked up Best Actor and Best Director, Suzie Stapleton won a prize, and CABLE CAR won both the judges and audience vote, which means we’re in the final next year.


So I’m feeling chuffed with myself and the whole crew. Seems audiences want ‘zany’ comedy at the mo, so for now that’s what I’ll do (although I’ll be working on poetry for a while … so the next one might have to wait).


Other news is that i was recently shortlisted for the Wannabee Poetry Prize. One of 30 from 630... but was pipped at the post. Losing is made easier however when I lose in good company... with Kevin Brophy and Gita Mammen among the list.

Stay tune for the post on my night at the Kurrajong Hotel in Canberra. I stayed in Ben Chifely’s room where he suffered his fatal heart attack. I’m head-down now working hard on the poems , but promise to have a spiel for you soon.

No comments: